Friday, January 18, 2008

Issues Shaping Today's Technology Uses in Education


Chapter 1 was very interesting, what stuck out to me the most were the issues shaping technology use in education (pg. 24). Chapter 1 provides at least 10 issues facing technology education. I was particularly interested in "The Digital Divide". This section discusses the division among rich and poor and exposure to technology.

Though most children in America have increased internet use, children from low-income areas and minorities still fall behind in home and school access. I agree that technology access differs between wealthy and poor schools. Many wonder if this is widening the gap between rich and poor. I teach in a low income area so many of my students have access to a computer at school but not at home. Educators believe that lower use of technology correlates with lower entrance to technical careers. I believe this is true. Many of my students say they want to be teachers, lawyers, singers, dancers, etc. I've never heard any of them say they want to be a computer programmer or engineer. I wonder if this is because of lack of exposure to people in these professions, lack of knowledge about these professions, or inexposure to all the advances of technology. I became very interested in this topic when I saw the different types of digital technologies available in some of the other schools. I was blown away by some of the nice things listed. Many of the elementary schools had some of the things we see in use around UAB's campus. That's amazing! It would be great if every child in America could have the same exposure to all these different types of digital technologies.

No comments: