Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Integration Strategies

Chapter 4 gave an overview of the basic three software tools: word processing, spreadsheets, and databases. This chapter suggested numerous ways that these tools can be implemented into the classroom. Some of the ideas they gave were very helpful to me. It explained how word processing is a huge asset to the writing process. Integrating word processing into the classroom will allow students to illustrate their work and increase their motivation to write. I really believe this is true. When I allow my children to type on the computer versus using pencil/paper they become much more interested in their work. When using word processing in the classroom students can learn to create coherence between sentences. They can also use color in their writing.

I also learned that using spreadsheet in teaching and learning can be very interesting as well. Students can learn easier ways to sort data. Spreadsheet can also assist students with complex calculations. It suggested an activity where students can predict average numbers of M&M's and colors in a package. I have tried this activity in my classroom numerous times and the students
love it!

I have always used databases in my classroom but this chapter did offer some new ways to integrate. Databases can be used to teach research and study skills. They can also be helpful with posing and testing hypotheses. Databases can show help students support or refute information.

Using software tools can be very helpful in the classroom. I've found that when they are properly implemented they become an essential part of learning.

No comments: