Technology is also beginning to play a huge role in literacy development. Chapter 9 discusses numerous thing teachers currently use in their classrooms to support and motivate literacy development. I found many of the examples they listed very interesting. Here are a few of the examples that I found very useful and imortant:
Networked literacy projects-They suggest using internet sites to engage students in reading books. Classroom teacher can also use story starters, having each student write a sentence or paragraph and the emailing to the next student. I have tried story starters in my own classroom and I can say that it is wonderful!You really get to see how far some kid s can go with the imagination. Also, everyone has a chance to express themselves and know body feels left out.
Digital Storytelling-Have students produce digital images to visually communicate and provide pictures for the video. This activity has been found to make the reading process easier to understand through visuals. I believe this would be a wonderful activity for students to complete. In most books the picture are already drawn for the students to view. This would allow students to express their own creativity through visualization and narration. Students can compare and contrast the pictures they draw with the ones drawn by the original narrator.
Writing in blogs-Blogs is increasing in popularity among students. Blogs can be a great benefit to student writing. Also, students can use blogs to have discussions about books they are currently reading and class. Blogging can be an outlet for them to exchange ideas and get feedback on their reading and writing. I am a little behind in technology so I didn't know much about blogging before this class. I've found that blogging has been quite fun on a weekly basis. It has been interesting blog on some others sites as well as see what the others are thinking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love your thougths on using technology with literacy. As a reading coach I am always looking for ways to get students motivated to read...especially the struggling readers. One thing I have used with students is a "Book Review" blog. After students have read a book they can come to me and we type a short review of the book which we post on a blog space. This blog motivates children to read, but it also provides other students with information about a book they might choose to read. All of the kids love it!
Post a Comment